PROJECT 5.1

TOPIC & BACKGROUND

Since very early, I started to feel people treat me differently when I dress up and wear makeup. When I am with my glasses and in an oversized t shirt, apparently they assume that I am a quite boring girl. But when I post photos in which I dress up well, I could easily receive many compliments. My followers message me and keep telling me how sexy and pretty I am. So here is the question, which is the real me? The dedicate one or the one who look just like a normal college student ? Or neither of it? Do people or audience online or around me really know about my character? Are they just seeing the illusion of who they want me to be?

I kept receiving those messages, and I am trying to understand the reasons behind them. Actually not only on the internet, in the real life, I also feel bothered when I put on a ‘sexy’ dress and step into a club. People easily have a fist impression on me that I am horny and looking for hooking up on a Saturday night. And it is difficult to turn their mind around. These kind of impressions based on how people look or dress sometimes have no difference from prejudice.

salvjiia

Above is an instagram influencer called salvjiia. I showed her posts to my friends and they are very impressed. Some of them think she is like an alien or a freak. But then I showed them the ‘normal’ photo of her. They suddenly realized that she is a quite pretty girl and very stylish.

I deeply doubt she might isn’t like none of their description my friends are thinking. Seeing through a person’s inside world might be much more complicate than we think.

So for this project, my change is aimed to letting people know judging others by their looks or even behavior is way too superficial. We shall stop imposing impressions that seems very reasonable on others.